Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Conquering Horse

Page 240 Around the year with Emmet Fox.

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering and to conquer (Revelation 6:2)
    The White Horse is the spiritual nature, and the man or woman who rides the White Horse achieves freedom, and joy, and ultimate and harmony.
    We are told two very interesting things about the Horseman on the White Horse; the Bible says he that sat on him had a bow. The bow and arrow is an ancient symbol of the spoken word.  When you speak the Word you shoot an arrow.  It goes where you aim it.  The Horseman on the White Horse speaks the Word.  The rider on the White Horse also wears a crown, and the crown is a symbol of victory.  The rider on the White Horse is always the victor.
    This, then, is the story of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse.  If you want peace, an understanding of God, there is only one way –you must ride the White Horse

It’s Sunday today and normally a day of rest for me.  This passage gets me kind of riled up though.  Since this blog is designed to help me and others deprogram from the powerless teachings of AA, can you imagine telling the rider of the White Horse he can have victory over everything but Alcoholism?   Or that he dare not ride in the direction of addiction because it is a lost battle for him?  Better that if he does dare battle Addiction, he needs to take his sponsor with him? I’m curious about how the following statement would be viewed in Alcoholics Anonymous.  And this is my story by the way.

How would AA members respond to this: I have been connecting with God a lot recently.  Rather than simply praying for God to keep me sober that day and my other daily prayers, I have been asking Him to reveal himself more to me and for me to better understand His will for me.  During these connections, I received a strong conviction that AA was keeping me realizing total freedom and that all I needed to do to recover was to trust Him and that His grace was sufficient for me. I think I will try this tomorrow with several of my AA friends to see what the response will be.  My prediction is that they will remind me that my mind is flawed and that it cannot be trusted.  In addition, they will remind me that I have demonstrated repeatedly that I cannot stay sober without going to a lot of AA meetings.  I might even hear the dreaded jails, institutions, or death scare tactic.  No doubt I will be labeled as one of those constitutionally incapable of being honest unfortunates.  I am coming to believe that for many members in AA, they need people to relapse and come back in all beat up to prove to them that the program of AA really works.  Honestly I believe they need people to manifest the horror stories that are told in the rooms in order for them to remind themselves of the biggest lie AA has running.  The lie – AA is your only chance and without it you are destined to drink again.

Seems like this passage struck a nerve and clearly I have a strong opinion about the programming that exists within AA.  I have set out to prove God right though and not to prove AA wrong. 

My prayer:
Lord, thank you for my victory over addiction and for the fire you have put inside me to shine brightly for you.  Please be with me as I go out to prove you right.  Please protect me and my family from evil and bless all of my friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff!
    I'm one of those for whom AA has tainted any prospect toward faith... for the time being, anyway. When I first arrived at AA, I was a baptist who had spent some time in the Pentecostal church.

    I remember the Sunday morning when I showed up late for my home group meeting. I had decided that going back to church might be a good idea, so I bought suits for my son and I, and we got all dressed up for the big occasion.

    I was sure that I could leave the service directly and head out to the morning meeting.

    When I arrived, about ten minutes late, I was scolded by a local wannabe sponsor... He looked me up and down and asked, "What's with the suit?"

    I said that I thought getting back to my old church was a good Idea.

    "You are one screwed up alcoholic Todd."... That was his answer.

    ReplyDelete